Live always at the edge of poetic possibilty, even in the face of severe prose. - Walter Bruggemann


Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Peanuts, Popcorn, and Cracker Jack

It's true! Baseball is Biblical! I knew there was something sacred about this game. Ask any Card's fan worth their weight in bird poop. Baseball is heavenly.

For all you baseball fans out there, and you know who you are, don't despair. I will not be without a team to follow when I'm in Israel. It's true I don't sit glued to the television guzzling beers and yelling at the ump, or talking about the Card's ad nasuem, but I do like a good game of baseball when the St. Louis Cardinals are up at bat.

Oh heck, I follow them most of the time ever since the Old Pro took me to my first baseball game in 1964 (it was a very good year). No Yankees or Red Sox for this Midwesterner. You can take the girl out of St. Louis but you have a much harder time taking St. Louis out of the girl.

What is summertime in Connecticut without the four H's - heat, humidity, haze and hotdogs? What is summertime without a trip to the Bluefish? What is summer without a concert at the gazebo or the 8:15 service at the beach, or just a walk at Jennings Beach? I know I'll be missing a lot next year, but I'll still be able to see some live baseball. All is right in the world.

I want to introduce you to the newly formed Israel Baseball League.

Opening day was June 24, 2007 or the 8th of Tammuz 5767 and it looks like they are off to a great start. Six teams draw players from all over the world. Fairfield's own Nathan Mittag of Congregation Beth El has been drafted for the Ra'anana Express. Go Nathan. Go IBL. Can anybody say play ball in Hebrew?



1 comment:

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Well, it's ONE, TWO THREE sins your out at the old ball game.
Me