Live always at the edge of poetic possibilty, even in the face of severe prose. - Walter Bruggemann


Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Belly Dance Sistah's...where are ya??

“Kadima. Ekhad, shat’im, shalosh, arba, khamesh, shesh, sheva, shmone. Yamin, shat’im, shalosh, arba, Smol, shat’im, shalosh, arba. Tweest, tweest, tweest, shimmy. Metsuyan!, Excellent!” Sagit loves to see her students jingling our hip scarves in unison. Belly dancing in the Middle East, what a concept. I’m having fun even if the class is in Hebrew and, in between the actual dancing, Sagit instructs her little heart out and I don’t have a clue what she is saying. Thankfully she is very methodical so I know exactly what we are doing and when. I listen carefully but I have to admit, sometimes I look out the window of her studio to the wild marketplace right below us. Vendors are yelling loudly to get rid of their merchandise. Then, I hear the music and her voice, “Kadima, forward”. It’s back to dancing.

“She’elote? Questions?” I have none. None at least that I know of. I have no clue what she is saying but I can tell from her facial expressions that she loves the art of the dance and wants all of us to dance like real belly dancers. Every now and then she’ll talk to me in English just to make sure that I’m keeping up with the class. I am. It’s a beginner class so I know most of the steps. (CT belly dancers, we really ARE advanced beginners)

Probably this is a little known fact to most of you, but for the last year and a half I’ve studied belly dancing with Tava in Westport. Our little troupe has even performed (oh geezzz, don’t tell anyone, I’ll need to get a job when I get back home) at the Blue Sky Café in Norwalk. A classy joint. I miss Tava and my fellow belly dancers, it’s just not the same without you. Have fun at your upcoming party. We're having a dance party during Hannakah so I’ll let you know all about it.

1 comment:

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Jelly Belly. It's as good a job as any.
Me