Live always at the edge of poetic possibilty, even in the face of severe prose. - Walter Bruggemann


Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Boker Tov Yerushala'im

At 6:30 am I received a text message from Hebrew University saying that classes had been cancelled. I jumped out of bed and looked outside. Snow had fallen during the night. I wasted no time. I put on my boots, tights, pants, shirt, sweater, coat, gloves and then thought, what a lovely morning to take a walk. I opened the door and saw......
the steps leading out from my apartment...
Yesheva across the street on Ramban.....
Independence Park.......

Arab cemetery in Independence Park....
Lah de dah neighborhood on my way to the Old City.....

Ahhh, the outside wall to the Old City.....

Gettin' closer....

The faithful heading to the Kotel.....
David Street in the Old City. It's so nice when no one is there.......

No stores open to rip you off.....or hassle you as you walk....

Corner of Muristan Street and David Street in the Old City.....

Snow's a fallin'...........

The Kotel......
This man was having a grand time singing out the Shema at the top of his lungs........

And dancing.....


Meanwhile on the women's side of the Kotel.....


Off with the talit, up with the umbrella.....

I'm sorry, he looks like Father Christmas to me.........

He enticed me and another woman photographer partially down the men's ramp, we went carefully, looking behind us. We took our pictures and then backed out quickly.....

Still crazy...he was loving it...still singing the Shema....it sounded beautiful in the quiet of the snowy morning....
Snow Dome of the Rock...........

Into the Muslim Quarter......

The early bird catches the worm, but there were no worms except me.

Onion delivery...
Keeping warm...still no other worms.......

Out of the Muslim Quarter and into the Christian Quarter...

Church of the Holy Sepulchre...........

Someone is keeping warm.........

The tomb of Jesus..........

Leaving the Holy Sepulchre, some guy was coming with, yes, ski poles...now really!

Cold and windy palm trees....
Entering the Armenian Quarter...I was loosing steam....so I went home....


My feet were cold and wet.......

I hope you liked my winter wonderland tour of the Old City in Jerusalem on this snowy January day. It was well worth the time, the effort and the harsh weather conditions!!! IT WAS GREAT! I left at 6:30 am and returned at 10:00 am. Now I'm ready for a long winter's nap.

11 comments:

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Beeeyoooooteeeeful!
Me

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Beeeyoooooteeeeful!
Me

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Beeeyoooooteeeeful!
Me

RICHARD W. WARNER said...

Beeeyoooooteeeeful!
Me

sabba17 said...

Best pictures yet. It's winderful when you know these places so well and suddenly see them in a completely new way. I'm jealous. I wish I could be there now

Cynthia said...

I can't believe they cancelled classes for such a small amount of snow! But at least came with it the gift of that walk and the wonderful pictures...and the peaceful silence that comes with snow.

inconceivable? said...

SO gorgeous!!! What a great walk you had! Thanks for sharing the pictures - it cheers up those of us back in New England waiting for snow and getting nothing buy dreary dreary rain...(which is at least made a little nicer w/newborn curled up in my arms :) )
Much love (and hope that it didn't take too long to get those jeans to dry...)
Sara

Suzanne said...

What great fun it was today. My jeans are still drying and now it's raining. Doesn't take much to cancel classes these days...snow, teacher strikes, student strikes...whatever.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!

Padre Mickey said...

Great photos!
Thanks.

NH said...

Shoshanah: Achhh mamash boker tov all day long.
Lehitraot, Niema

chuck said...

Fab pictures, as always. Leave it to you to make a snow day look spectacular! Were you wearing your hat from Peru? xoxoblanca